Wed 11
Under 18's
Haverhill Rovers
B Lyddiatt (47'), A Mills (67'), (86')
Youth Team exit Suffolk Cup on penalties against Haverhill

Youth Team exit Suffolk Cup on penalties against Haverhill

By Chris Ward
Share via

Bury fight back not enough as they bow out of the competition

Bury Town Under-18s are knocked out of the first round of the Suffolk FA Under-18 Midweek Cup after a penalty shoot out to Haverhill Rovers in an entertaining cup tie at the Denny Bros Stadium.

Rovers had a great chance just two minutes in, Dinnell ran through on the right of the Bury box to get close to goal before shooting low across the face of goal narrowly beating the bottom far corner. Then on 5 minutes, Bury had appeals for a penalty as Amin Mohammed was found just inside the Rovers penalty area before being possibly fouled though the referee waved away the Bury appeals. Five minutes later, Bonas was then adjudged to have illegally halted Iron on the left hand side in the box as the referee pointed to the spot, Iron stepped up to put it just underneath the diving Foreman into the bottom left corner, though the stopper went the right way, 0-1 Rovers on 11 minutes. The goalscorer then had a shot at the Bury goal from 20 yards out on the left on 18 minutes, but fired narrowly wide of the top near corner. The visitors then went close on 23 minutes, Robinson’s well hit shot from range went just wide of the bottom right corner. Four minutes later though, Bury had a chance of their own, Amin Mohammed laying the ball off to Keaton Cowling 25-yards out, whose low shot was deflected through, with the former almost latching onto the ball which made its way through to the keeper to gather comfortably.

On the hour mark though Haverhill doubled their advantage, Zane Robinson’s powerful well hit strike beat Foreman from the right edge of the box into the top near corner, 0-2 Rovers. Bury however responded two minutes later, Mohammed got through in the box to poke the ball past the keeper who had rushed well off his line leaving a practically open net, as the striker went down after being caught by the keeper’s outstretched hand though the referee dismissed the appeals. Rovers meanwhile had a minor opportunity on 35 minutes, Scarlett seeing his 22-yard strike blocked well by a defender. Five minutes before the break, Will Allison then got through well down the right wing to find Amin Mohammed in the area who beat his defender well before going down under challenge- the referee again waving away the appeals. On 42 minutes Rovers won a free-kick from 25 yards out, though Iron curled and dipped the set-piece well over the crossbar, before the visitors’ cross in on the right found Iron at the far post who headed wide of the left post, as Rovers led 0-2 at the interval.

Half Time: Bury Town 0 Haverhill Rovers 2

After the break Bury came out fighting as the Blues had a great chance a minute after the restart, Mohammed showing great desire to tussle well to keep possession 20 yards from the Rovers goal on the right, as his good low strike was narrowly deflected over the bar for a corner. A corner later meanwhile saw Bury pull a goal back, as Allison’s superb cross back in from the forward’s set-piece found Ben Lyddiatt at the far post close to goal to head home into the bottom far corner, capping off some great play from the hosts, 1-2 on 47 minutes. Plant then had a half chance out on the right wing two minutes later, having controlled a Rovers’ throw in well with his chest, the Bury man volleyed towards goal but straight into the keeper’s chest. Down the other end meanwhile, Robinson hit a fierce free-kick straight into Foreman’s chest on 52 minutes. Bury then went close from a free-kick off their own two minutes later, Finlay Plant’s superb free-kick on the right wing was headed wide of the bottom far corner by Amin Mohammed. Bury then went again on 56 minutes, as good play from the young Blues released star man Angus Mills through down the right wing to cross low and well into the box with the aim of finding Mohammed, though the defender prevented an almost certain shot on target by intercepting the cross, as Rovers shot straight at Foreman on 57 minutes.

Bury however went close on the hour mark, Callum Steed went for goal on the left 18-yards from goal but hit just wide of the bottom far corner, before the Blues went close once more on 63 minutes. Angus Mills again set through down the right wing to cross into the box finding Mohammed on the edge of the six yard box but couldn’t quite direct his header goalwards. Rovers though had a chance on 65 minutes, after getting through on the right hand side in the box the away side blazed their shot well over the bar. A minute later though, Rovers restored their two goal lead, after getting through down the left byline the ball was squared on a plate for Dinnell who was unmarked at the far post from close range to tap home into the middle of the net, 1-3 Rovers. Bury though responded instantly on 67 minutes, Finlay Bonas beat his defender well down the right wing doing superbly well to keep the ball in play after rounding the defender and linesman to cross in low to Angus Mills eight yards out running into the centre, the substitute tapping low into the centre of the net, 2-3. Two minutes later, Gibbard’s free-kick for Haverhill on the left from range sailed well over the top far corner before Bury went close on 71 minutes, seeing a great strike on the left edge of the box end up just side of the far post.

Robinson then took a free-kick out on the left wing swinging the set-piece dangerously into the far spot close to goal, though Gilles headed narrowly over the top left corner on 73 minutes. Bury on the other hand went close once more on 76 minutes, Amin Mohammed released Angus Mills through down the right wing once more as the latter unleashed a fantastic strike from the right edge of the goal towards the top left corner but the keeper did well to dive and tip it over the bar. Will Allison’s corner in meanwhile was put wide for a goal-kick by a Bury head unmarked at the back post. With four minutes left of normal time Bury equalised, with Angus Mills picking up a brace, Jack Turner did superbly well on the left wing to get through and deliver a great low ball into the box as Angus Mills beat the defend to the ball to turn home into the bottom right corner, 3-3. Bury then the majority of the remaining chances, as the hosts had a great chance on 87 minutes, Mohammed’s shot on the right edge of the box requiring a deflection to take it wide of the bottom far corner for a Bury corner. Then on 89 minutes Bury went close again, Angus Mills did well once more down the right wing to cross low to Jack Turner stood on the right byline in the box whose instinctive first time backheel towards Lyddiatt six yards out forced the keeper to pounce and intercept, gathering just as the Bury a foot on the ball.

Three minutes into added time great defending from the hosts kept Rovers out, Robinson hitting a fierce strike twenty five yards out on the left but was blocked well by Finlay Plant. On 90+6 minutes Bury had a great chance to win it late on, Angus Mills’ low cross in on the right found Mohammed unmarked from 6 yards out to shoot at goal but shot thin air as the defence cleared behind for a corner. The resulting ball in found Keaton Cowling on the right in the box as his blocked shot fell to Mohammed 12-yards out who fired narrowly over the bar, Bury agonisingly close to a fourth goal. With 9 added minutes played Bury had another chance, Heider firing a shot on the left edge of the box over the top near corner, as the last action a minute later saw Cowling’s free-kick on the right wing was caught by the keeper next to his near post as the tie required penalties to separate the two sides after a 3-all draw.

Full Time: Bury Town 3 Haverhill Rovers 3

Haverhill took the first spot-kick, as Iron took first and beat Foreman just into the bottom left corner, who had again guessed correctly 0-1 Rovers. Up first for Bury was goalscorer and Bury Man Of The Match Angus Mills whose spot-kick was palmed away well by the keeper down to his left in the middle of his goal. Up next for Rovers was Robinson, whose penalty was palmed away well by Bury stopper Foreman down to his right. Jack Turner then levelled the shootout for Bury, sending the keeper the wrong way to pick out the bottom right corner, 1-1 after 2 penalties each. Smalls then took Haverhill’s third kick and dispatched into the top left corner just past Foreman, 1-2 Rovers. Keaton Cowling then took on the responsibilities of Bury’s third penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way to find the bottom right corner, 2-2. Dinnell then stepped up for Rovers, who shot at the bottom left corner as Foreman got a hand to it but could only palm into the top near corner, 2-3 Rovers. Lyddiatt then took Bury’s fourth, going straight down the middle as the keeper dived down to palm away, Haverhill then won it with their fifth penalty as Gilles sent Foreman the wrong way to find the bottom right corner to make it 2-4 and after some confusion Haverhill progressed to the second round of the Suffolk FA U18 Midweek Cup.

Result: Bury Town 3 Haverhill Rovers 3 - Haverhill Rovers won 4-2 on penalty kicks


Share via

Match details

Match date

Wed 11, Sep 2019