Mon 12
Under 18's
Halstead Town
Under 18's suffer first home league defeat

Under 18's suffer first home league defeat

By Chris Ward
Share via

Halstead Town take the points with a 3-2 win at the Denny Bros Stadium

Bury Town Under-18s were defeated 2-3 by Halstead Town Under-18s on their first home league match of the season. Although the visitors deserved the win, the Blues could've easily snatched a point or even three at Denny Bros Stadium.

Bury had the first chance on 3 minutes, firing a strike over the bar from the right edge of the box. The visitors then had a strike at goal after 7 minutes, shooting low from the left edge of the box but straight at Reynolds. Cook then won his side a free-kick on the left from 30-yards out, the young winger’s ball into the far post though was headed over the bar, after ten minutes. The chances continued to fall for both sides, as Halstead’s No.10 was fed down the right wing on 12 minutes, he then cut inside the box and shot low towards the far corner forcing Reynolds to dive down and catch.

Two minutes later, Halstead got down the left wing with ease, as the shot from inside the box was beaten away well by Reynolds. The young Blues then had another shot at goal after 16 minutes, captain Josh Revell going for goal outside the box but firing straight at the visiting keeper. The visitors then almost took the lead, as a ball in from the right was almost sliced towards his own goal by a Bury man trying to clear. His fellow defender then almost own goal, had it not been for his teammate just about clearing behind the post for a corner on the right, putting Bury nerves at rest. Fair to say attack is the best form of defence, shown on 24 minutes as good play from Bury.

Charlie Cook’s low ball into the six-yard box on the left, forcing the defender to slide the ball towards his own goal, but offside was given. Bury skipper and play-maker Josh Revell then had another shot at goal on 29 minutes, curling just wide of the bottom right corner from the edge of the box. With ten minutes to go before the break, Bury’s No.8 had a strike at goal from the left edge of the box but curled his effort straight at the Halstead shot-stopper. Then after 38 minutes the Blues shot wide, before the Blues’ No.8 fired low and wide off the right post, from 18-yards out a minute later.

Bury then took the lead 4 minutes before the interval, Charlie Cook’s superb corner in on the right was whipped into the six-yard box, where Ralph Slaney headed the ball into the top left corner from point blank range. The Blues then had a shot blocked from the right edge of the box on 43 minutes, before Charlie Cook whipped another fantastic corner on the right into the six yard box. This time however, the close range header went over via the bar.

Half Time: Bury Town Under-18s 1 Halstead Town Under-18s 0

Seconds after the action recommenced Freddie McCracken was hauled down on the left edge of the area for a Bury free-kick. Then on 46 minutes, the ball in to the near post was touched towards the keeper at his near post, before Halstead leveled a minute later. A Halstead ball in from the left byline, from close range across an open goal, is tapped into the bottom left corner- at the far post.

Halstead then turned the game on it’s head, taking the lead after 50 minutes. The visitors shooting low from the right edge of the box, Reynolds though palmed the ball behind down to his right. The corner into the near post however, was headed into the top near corner for 1-2 Halstead. The home side though went extremely close to hitting back the minute after falling behind, as Charlie Cook was set through in the area. The winger then stabbed the ball at goal, past the on rushing Halstead keeper but was denied by the defender sliding in to clear the ball behind for a corner on the right- with the effort goal-bound.

On 53 minutes, the visitors went close again as Halstead fires a fierce strike wide off the bottom far corner from the right edge of the box. Cook was then set through down the left after 54 minutes, unfortunately though his first time half-volleyed strike was hit straight at keeper at his near post. Jack Wass went for goal from the right edge of the box on 55 minutes, firing low but only finding the gloves of the diving stopper down to his right. Three minutes later, Halstead had a free-kick on the right edge of the box but fired it over the top far corner, before Halstead’s No.10 shot wide from close range on the left inside the box after 67 minutes.

Bury though kept up the hunt for a goal back, firing into the left side netting on 68 minutes. The home side then found their way through to the right-hand side in the box on 70 minutes, as the ball was cutback to Revell just inside the area. Bury’s captain then saw his effort deflected wide off the right post, as his side shot wide of the right post from 30-yards out a minute later. Bury then fell 1-3 down on 73 minutes, Halstead slotting the ball from close range and into an empty net on the left inside the area. The following minute saw Bury alarm bells ringing once more, as the visitors’ low cross into the area from the right wing was side footed wide at the near post. Bury substitute Freddie a McCracken then went for goal on the right from 20-yards out, shooting low as the keeper caught the strike down to his right, as thirteen minutes remained.

Both sides then had a shot straight at the two keepers on 79 minutes, Halstead going first as their No.12 was fed in the box but shot low and straight at Reynolds, whilst Bury fired straight at the Halstead No.1 from range, just seconds later. Game on though a minute later, Bury firing low and brilliantly into the bottom left corner, as hope of getting a result was restored. With 6 minutes remaining Bury went agonisingly close to an equaliser, a great cross in from the right by Bury finding the head of McCracken in the box, unfortunately though the Bury striker headed onto the bar and over to disbelief of the home side.

With 5 minutes on the clock, Reynolds’ kick out was intercepted by a Halstead man from range, whose shot at the open goal was claimed well by the casual Reynolds jumping and catching the effort. On 86 minutes, the ball fell to Tinde on the edge of the box, but half-volleyed wide off the right post. However, that was the final chance for a Bury as they fell to defeat, with Halstead shooting low and straight at Reynolds with two minutes remaining to confirm their narrow win.

Full Time: Bury Town Under-18s 2 Halstead Town Under-18s 3

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 12, Nov 2018