Mon 04
Development Team
Haringey Borough
C Nyadzayo (8'), (75')
P Panagiotou (21')
Nyadzayo hits a brace to seal Bury’s first home points in win over Haringey

Nyadzayo hits a brace to seal Bury’s first home points in win over Haringey

By Drew Kendall
Share via

A goal in each half from striker Cruise Nyadzayo ensures Bury pick up 3 deserved points.

Bury Town Under-23s pick up their first home points of the campaign, making it back-to-back wins in the process after a fantastic all round performance against a good Haringey Borough side.

Bury were full worth the three points,dominating the fair majority of proceedings, especially in the second half. Man of the match Cruise Nyadzayo had Bury’s opening chance on 5 minutes, the forward hit a low 35-yard free kick towards the right post but was cleared away by the visiting defence on the 18-yard line. Nyadzayo though opened the scoring three minutes later for Bury, good buildup from the Blues saw Charlie Cook and Emmanuel Machaya exchange a one-two before Nyadzayo was fed in space thirty yards from goal to take aim at the right corner, straight at the keeper who parried the ball over himself and into the bottom right corner, 1-0 Bury. At the other end however, George Bugg was forced into his first save on 10 minutes, shortly after coming off his line well to clear a long ball perfectly into the bin on the sidelines, the stopper got down well to his right to palm away a low shot from the left edge of the box, whilst Mills’ follow up header from ten years out in space went wide of the left post. Mills then had another try a minute later, firing a fierce rocket just past the near post on the right. The away side then had another chance on 13 minutes, Oiamitobi got through on the right byline inside the Bury penalty area to square across though Kerrin Lawrence was alert to block it behind, as Charlie Cook cleared away the resulting set-piece. Haringey went for goal from distance a minute later, the shot though dipped comfortably wide of George Bugg’s left hand post. Down the other end meanwhile, Bury went close to doubling their advantage on 16 minutes, Will Gardner’s low cross on the left found Emmanuel Machaya on the left hand side in the Haringey area, spinning and turning past his defender well to make space close to goal before shooting low and powerfully towards the bottom far corner. The keeper though dived down well to palm it just past the post.

Haringey though drew level in the nineteenth minute, a low cross on the right was partially cleared away by Grochocki in the box, as possession fell kindly for Panagiotou 12-yards out who pounced to cooly finish into the bottom left corner, 1-1. The Blues responded to this set back by forcing a good save out of the keeper two minutes later, a good low shot on the right required Haidara to dive down to his bottom far corner and palm the ball away. Bury meanwhile had a free-kick on the right on 22 minutes, but went straight into the keeper’s chest at his near post. Borough however has a free-kick of their own in the twenty-fifth minute, the set-piece out on the right wing was put wide by a Haringey shirt at the near post. The chances continued to flow when Bury had a great chance to restore their lead on 28 minutes, Emmanuel Machaya was set through down the left wing to cut into the box and lay off possession to Charlie Cook on the left edge of the box, the latter curled a great strike just over the top far corner. The Blues then passed the ball around nicely on the half-hour mark, Max Maughn releasing Emmanuel Machaya out on the left wing, the striker returned the favour to Maughn on the left edge of the box, the former though shot just wide of the top far corner. Bury had another great chance to retake the lead 5 minutes later, Charlie Cook’s superb corner on the right was swung into a dangerous area finding the head of Kerrin Lawrence who ran well beating his man to meet the ball at the near post close to goal, the defender’s free header at the top near corner however was kept out. Bury continued to probe for a second goal before the interval, the keeper palming away a corner on his goal line, moments before Nyadzayo went close to adding to his and Bury’s goal tally for the evening. The striker’s shot on the right edge of the box went agonisingly wide of the top mear corner on 39 minutes. Haringey did pose a decent threat though throughout the match, forcing George Bugg to be alert two minutes before the interval. A Haringey free-kick on the left wing was swung into a dangerous area close to goal at the near post as nobody was able to get a touch onto the ball, ending up going through to Bugg after having bounced just shy off the keeper who reacted superbly well to dive across to his left and palm the ball away, whilst Haringey then shot low and just wide of the bottom right corner a minute later, both sides therefore going into half-time level.

Half Time: Bury Town 1-1 Haringey Borough

The second half began with Bury taking full reigns of proceedings for a fair majority of it, though Haringey did have a few good opportunities, starting with a low shot on the right edge of the box as George Bugg dived down well towards his far corner to take a comfortable catch on 47 minutes. Bury on the other hand had their first chance of the half on 49 minutes, and a good one it was too. Emmanuel Machaya was fed through on the right close to goal to shoot from a fairly difficult angle but was saved well by the legs of the diving keeper, who had gone the opposite way at his near post. The hosts had another great chance in the 55th minute, Charlie Cook’s right wing free-kick found the head of Harry Brown 12-yards out at the far post to head deftly and narrowly wide of the left post. Bury maintained the pressure on the Haringey goal, going close 4 times in the space of 12 minutes. The first saw Cruise Nyadzayo’s long throw on the right into the box cause havoc for the visiting backline, Harry Brown leapt the highest to loop a header towards Emmanuel Machaya to the near byline, who despite being held won and held up the ball successfully until laying the ball off to Harry Brown, now stood in the centre just over six-yards out. The latter’s shot however went well wide of the near post with the corner gaping on 58 minutes. The second also saw Nyadzayo involved with 25 minutes to play, the striker ran through passed the defence on the right wing and into the box to square across in search of Harry Brown six yards out at the far post who just couldn’t quite get his shot off. The ball fell for Emmanuel Machaya just outside the six yard box in the middle, the striker shot low at goal but wide of the bottom left corner. Again, Nyadzayo was at the forefront of Bury’s latest great piece of play in the 69th minute, after being set haring past the full-back and down the right wing into the box, the forward hit a low attempt towards the near post with Machaya running in. The keeper whoever was aware of the situation, getting down well to palm behind his near post.

Bury remained the better side, continuously troubling the visitors’ goal, the resulting corner found a Blue head unmarked at the back post close to goal, guiding a free header towards the unguarded top far corner back into play off the face of the bar. The loose ball fell to Nyadzayo meanwhile, whose free header outside the six yard box went just wide of the top left corner after 70 minutes. With 14 minutes remaining Bury regained the lead proving to be the winner, substitute Joe Hogg thought well and fairly to dispossess the defender out on the left wing and progress on close to the area where the midfielder squared the ball to goalscorer Nyadzayo in space on the left from ten yards out, who simply had to pick his spot and finish low and past the keeper into the net, 2-1 Bury and a deserved brace for Nyadzayo. Bury remained hungry for more goals shortly after, as Emmanuel Machaya was set through in the area past the defence, only to be offside having been redeemed for shooting just over from close range on 78 minutes. The skipper was then found on the left edge of the box to aim low at the bottom far corner, but saw his shot blocked by a Haringey defender three minutes later. Charlie Cook was next to be inches away from putting the result beyond doubt seconds later, Cook’s great strike outside the box dipped just wide of the top right corner with 4 minutes remaining, whilst Machaya got through well once more on the right wing to shoot at the bottom near corner but hit well wide of the post. Haringey did test George Bugg once more on 87 minutes, a good strike on the right towards the bottom far corner was matched well by the home stopper who dived down well to palm it behind for a corner. Haringey though headed the set-piece wide of the top left corner at the far post a minute later. Bury almost made the points safe a minute before added time, Machaya was found running through on the right edge of the box but shot just wide at the near post. With the last kick of the game, Haringey ended the three minutes of added time by putting Bury hearts in their mouths momentarily, Oiamitobi went for goal on the right edge of the box, luckily for the Blues it went just wide of the top near corner. Bury therefore held on to take maximum points in an entertaining encounter at the Denny Bros Stadium in front of a good crowd of 41 people. Bury’s Development side will next be in action on Monday 18th November when they welcome Enfield Town’s Under-23s to Suffolk.

Full Time: Bury Town 2-1 Haringey Borough


Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 04, Nov 2019






North Division

League position

Haringey Borough
Bury Town