Sun 24
Greenwich Borough
Development Team
Y Zady (57'), J Shonowo (69')
J Revell (44'), E Machaya (47'), (58'), (90'), O Hughes (64'), L Porter (74')
Machaya hat-trick sinks Greenwich

Machaya hat-trick sinks Greenwich

By Chris Ward
Share via

Bury Town complete the double over Greenwich Borough in Development League

Bury Town completed a double over Greenwich Borough in the Bluefin Development League with a commanding 6-2 win at the Badgers Sports Ground on Sunday afternoon. The Blues had previously recorded a 4-1 home victory at the Denny Bros Stadium prior to Christmas.
Bury should have opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Ollie Hughes headed home from a long distance free kick but the flag was up for an alleged offside.
Bury had the bulk of the play in the first half but failed to find the target when kicking up the slight slope, but finally found the net in the 44th minute when Josh Revell hit a sweet strike from well outside the box, with the power too much to handle for the home goalkeeper. That goal gave Bury a slight advantage at the break.

Half time: Greenwich Borough 0 Bury Town 1

The first half had taken some time to get going but Bury were quickly out of the blocks in the second period and just 3 minutes after the restart Bury doubled their lead when Emmanuel Machaya was set through on goal, he held his marker off easily before putting the ball past Jordan Stansbury.
Greenwich Borough pulled a goal back 10 minutes later in the 57th minute when Yves Zady was given too much time and space on the edge of the area and he was able to shoot past George Bugg from close range to give Greenwich hope of a come back.
That hope was short lived however as just a minute later, Emmanuel Machaya was set through in the box and he was able to fire the ball under Stansbury to restore the 2 goal lead.
Bury then made an attacking change when Harvey Addison replaced defender Branham Ince. A minute later, Ollie Hughes added a 4th goal for the Blues as Borough goalkeeper Jordan Stansbury attempted to dribble past the Bury striker, who robbed the ball from him and slotted into an empty net to set Bury on course for victory.
Greenwich were then given some hope in the 69th minute when a shot from Joshua Shonowo deceived George Bugg from just outside the box to pull the deficit back to two goals.
Five minutes later in the 74th minute Bury restored their three goal lead. After sustained pressure in the box, the ball appeared to be cleared from going into the net by a Bury head but after coming back off the bar, captain Lawrence Porter was able to head home to put the result beyond doubt.
Ollie Hughes became the first Bury player to go in the referees book after he picked up a yellow card for a challenge just outside the Bury box. Laurence Porter also picked up a caution the the 84th minute when a foul was committed outside the box but play was allowed the continue before the referee deemed no advantage and pulled play back, the resulting free kick however was well charged down by the Bury wall and cleared from danger.
As the clock ticked over into the 90th minute, there was just enough time for Emmanuel Machaya to grab his hat-trick which was well deserved after a good performance. As Greenwich pushed up, he was set clear on goal and despite having missed a similar chanace earlier in the half, this time he made no mistake and hit the ball hard and low to add a 6th goal for Bury and complete a good result for Bradley Barber and John Kennedy’s side as they bounced back from two consecutive defeats with a comprehensive win in South East London.

Full Time: Greenwich Borough 2 Bury Town 6

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sun 24, Mar 2019