Mon 07
Development Team
Enfield Town
H Brown (19'), C Cook (23'), J White (66')
K Lynch (32'), J Davison (68'), (72' Sent Off)
Under 23's stun league leaders

Under 23's stun league leaders

By Chris Ward
Share via

Bury Town Development beat top of the table Enfield Town - by Drew Kendall

‪The Blues won a free kick a minute in on the left wing, which found Kerins, where the defender's fierce volley was blocked. Enfield then sent an effort comfortably wide off Bugg's left post on 8 minutes, before forcing the Bury stopper into a simple stop at his right post from a low strike from 20-yards, after 10 minutes. The visitors then won a free-kick twenty yards out on the left, in a dangerous position on 12 minutes, although the kick curled over the wall, it also beat the top right corner. Enfield then ran down the centre on 14 minutes, with the shot on the edge of the box blocked by Kerins as Bugg gathered with ease. ‬

‪Bury then took the lead on 18 minutes, Emmanuel Machaya on the right byline squaring across for Harry Brown at the far post to simply tap in from 2 yards out. Bury soon doubled that, three minutes later, Charlie Cook with an absolute screamer from the right edge of the box, casually curling a great strike in off the left underside off the crossbar and into the net! The visitors however, got a consolation on 32 minutes as Lynch found the bottom left corner, from the left inside the box. A fantastic challenge from Charlie Cook on 35 minutes then denied Enfield from progressing on the right side in Bury's box- sliding in from behind perfectly to concede the corner. ‬

‪Three minutes later, the away side won a corner on the right, with the header at the far post blocked off the line. A scramble then ensued where Enfield had two point blank efforts blocked off the time, before Bugg then gathered. Enfield then crossed a ball in on the right, where the header at the far post went wide off the right post, with Bury awarded a free-kick, on 39 minutes. Enfield them got dangerously through to the left byline who pulled back, but the man running in missed it before No.2 hit off target on 45 minutes. With the final chance of the half, on 45+1 minutes, Enfield shot low but was straight at Bugg who held on to see Bury lead at the break.

Half Time: Bury Town 2 Enfield Town 1

The second half began with Bury going agonisingly close to a third goal, Emmanuel Machaya hitting the face of the bar, from 25-yards out on the left after 47 minutes.

The visitors then struck a wild free-kick over the top right corner on 49 minutes, in a very well fought encounter. Machaya then picked up possession in the middle of Enfield's half on 50 minutes, but fired just wide off the left post. The home side then won a corner on the left, two minutes later, as Robinson's corner in on the right fell to Aidan Browne eighteen yards out, whose volley at goal was blocked. After 62 minutes, Lynch went for goal from the left edge of the box, but was blocked off target well by Ince as Bugg caught the deflected effort. Bury then went 3-1 up a minute later, Branham Ince's free-kick in on the right wing found Joe White unmarked at the far post who fired into the top right corner, to superbly restore Bury's two goal lead. Tommy Robinson then tried his luck with a 30-yard free-kick, which curled over the wall- dipping uncomfortably for the keeper who held on with Brown running in, on 65 minutes. With 24 minutes remaining, Enfield pulled it back to 3-2, after having a shot blocked Davison was on hand to lash into the top left corner.

Bury though responded, hunting a fourth goal, as the hosts looked to avenge their 5-0 defeat at Enfield earlier this season, with a Bury cross in on the left finding Revell, whose header was easy for the keeper on 72 minutes. Five minutes later Josh Revell tried his luck with a 25-yard low strike towards the bottom left corner- but was routine for the keeper. As the game got feisty as time progressed, Enfield won a free-kick on the right after 79 minutes, with the eventual header at goal- at the near post going straight to Bugg. Next to go close, was Tanner call for Bury from 25-yards out from the right on 80 minutes, however the keeper gathered the strike. Five minutes later, Bugg then denied Enfield, followed by Machaya having a shot blocked behind, from the left side in the box for a Bury corner on 87 minutes.

‪Enfield then missed an absolute sitter on 89 minutes, Davison squaring across the face of goal from the left byline but was somehow blasted over the bar from point blank range. Bury then missed a fantastic chance of their own on 90 minutes, Call getting down the right and into the box- he then rounded the keeper but hit the side netting. Enfield then won a free-kick on the left wing on 90+1 minutes, as the ball into the back post was headed wide off the left post. A minute later, Enfield then had a shot deflected wide off the left post, with Bugg doing well to prevent a corner under pressure. ‬

‪The final action of the evening fell to Enfield on 90+4 minutes, the free-kick on the left wing found a visiting man who blasted fiercely wide off the bottom left corner. Bury then held on to beat the league leaders 3-2 at Denny Bros Stadium. ‬

Full Time: Bury Town 3 Enfield Town 2


Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 07, Jan 2019