Mon 05
Development Team
Hertford Town
E Machaya (11'), (90'), L Porter (29')
T Costa (40'), A Washbourne (65')
Injury time goal costly for Blues

Injury time goal costly for Blues

By Chris Ward
Share via

Development team maintain their unbeaten home record - By Drew Kendall

Bury Town's Development side maintain their unbeaten home record against Hertford Town, after two Machaya goals and one from Porter see the spoils shared.
Arguably the draw was the fair result, but Bury will be frustrated with the goals conceded despite another brace from star striker, and Development League top scorer, Emmanuel Machaya. It was the Bury forward who had the first opportunity, just seconds after kick off. The young striker was set through down the centre and into the box, but couldn't lift the ball over the keeper as his shot went straight at Hobbs.
Two minutes in, the visitors then tried their luck with a low strike from the left edge of the box- only to fire wide off the near post. On fire Machaya then netted the easiest of his 13 goals in the League on 11 minutes, after great skill from fellow first team player Tommy Robinson.
Robinson was fed through down the right in the box, rounded the keeper before passing him again when back-tracking, he then teed it up on a plate for Machaya in the middle to net from point blank range. Bury Development No.1 stopper Bugg was forced into a good save a minute later, as the visitors' shot on the right, hit powerfully towards the top near corner, had to be palmed over by Bugg. On 13 minutes, Hertford thought they were level, as they netted the ball in from a corner on the right- however after a discussion between the officials the goal was ruled out for offside.
‪Winter then had a strike at goal from the right on 24 minutes, luckily for Bury though it was hit straight at Bugg. Bury centre-back Joe White ventured upfield on 26 minutes, firing a great strike at goal- from the right edge of the box but was tipped over by the keeper. From the resulting corner, a minute later, Porter doubled Bury's lead with his flicked header at the near post going over the line at the far post, despite the desperate attempts of a defender, on the line, who would only head the ball onto the bar and into the net. ‬
‪Costa was then fed through down the middle on 35 minutes, but saw his low strike saved by Bugg who then pounced on the rebound to prevent a corner. The two sides then had a chance each on 37 minutes, with Hertford firing over the bar with Machaya going close seconds later. The forward's low shot, on the right side in the area, was deflected and was palmed away by Hobbs at his near post. ‬
‪Hertford then halved the deficit a minute later, as Costa netted into the right corner. Bury responded with Under-18 and First Team player Josh Revell having a thirty-yard strike blocked, six minutes before the break. A minute before the interval, Vicary was booked for a foul deep in his own half on the left wing, with Robinson's great ball into the far post forcing Hobbs to palm away just ahead of a Bury player. That was it for the first half, Bury going into the break by two goals to one, through Machaya and Porter. ‬

Half Time: Bury Town Development 2 Hertford Town Development 0

‪Two minutes after the break Hertford fired over the bar, as the visitors hunted an equaliser. Bury then won a free-kick on the left edge of the box on 55 minutes, unfortunately though Robinson curled his set-piece over the bar. ‬
‪Simpson then tried his luck with a low shot, for Hertford after 56 minutes but fired wide of the far post from the right edge of the box. On the hour mark, Hertford then fired over the top far corner with Machaya having a strike of his own two minutes later. The Blues' goalscorer, however saw his shot from the edge of the area deflected behind the right post for a corner. ‬
‪Bury then had a shot blocked on 63 minutes, soon followed by Washbourne leveling the scores- wiping out Bury's two goal lead completely. The visitors' free-kick in on the left wing on 65 minutes, was whipped into the far post where Thonas headed into the top left corner, despite a Hertford man handling in the build-up to the award of the free-kick. ‬
‪A Hertford effort towards goal on the left was curled wide off the far post on 68 minutes, preceding the away side firing over the top left corner with 14 minutes left to play. ‬
‪Bury then had a corner in on the right put behind the far post on 82 minutes, as the hosts continued to search for a third goal. The visitors then came back five minutes later, firing over the top far corner from the left. ‬
‪Bury though were determined to grab that third goal, and did in on 90 minutes, after Machaya was brought down after being sandwiched on the right in the box the referee pointed to the spot. ‬
‪Machaya stepped up to dispatch his 13th goal in the League past the keeper and into the top right corner in superb style. The drama didn't stop there though, as Hertford equalised five minutes into stoppage time, Diviney tapping into an almost empty net on the left in the box with Bugg beaten. ‬
‪From the kick-off, Bury shot straight at the keeper but was too late as the referee blew his whistle resulting in a fair point gained for both sides on Bonfire Night at the Denny Bros Stadium. ‬

Full Time: Bury Town Development 3 Hertford Town Development 3


Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 05, Nov 2018