Mon 26
First Team
Cambridge City
T Hastings (45'), R Horne (47'), J Robson (54'), E Machaya (67')
J Hood (2' OG)
Bury Town come from behind to move up to third with win over City

Bury Town come from behind to move up to third with win over City

By john alcock
Share via

Cambridge City (H)

Bury Town come from behind to move up to third

A very hot afternoon led to a slow-paced game, especially during the first half. A massive stroke of luck gave Cambridge the lead on 2 minutes. A ball in to the Bury box which was attempted to be cleared took a huge deflection and the ball sailed up and over Bury keeper Daniel Barden and into the back of the net. On 5 minutes Cambridge had another chance with Bradley Bell putting a great ball across the face of the Bury goal but with no one close enough the ball went harmlessly out of play. Ollie Hughes got a cross into the box for Bury on 21 minutes looking for Cemal Ramadan but a solid clearance from Seb Simpson ended the move. Barden made a good save on 25 minutes saving low at the near post from Adam Watkins. Hughes was in action again on 26 minutes, getting past two players and into the box and his shot was heading into the far top corner but Lewis Landers made a great one handed save. On 34 minutes Ramadan picked up the ball out wide and put a good cross in to the box but Landers was out quick to collect the ball. Cambridge had a good chance to extend their lead on 43 minutes when Watkins put a dangerous cross in to the Bury box for Bell, but he missed the ball from close range in front of the Bury goal.

Half Time: Bury Town 0 Cambridge City 1

After the break Bury went straight on the attack and on 47 minutes when Ollie Hughes broke into the box and found Ryan Horne with a great pass and Horne fired Bury level. On 54 minutes Bury took the lead. Again, Hughes was the provider this time for Jarid Robson who found the back of the net. Bury had another good chance on 59 minutes with Cemal Ramadan beating the offside trap and going one on one with the keeper but he pulled his shot wide. Bury were looking dangerous with every attack and on 67 minutes a great solo effort from Emmanuel Machaya who picked up the ball just over the halfway line and went around two defenders and on into the box to slot his shot past the keeper. Cambridge had a chance to pull a goal back on 72 minutes when a good cross into the box was headed goalward by Matt Foy, but his header was straight into the arms of Daniel Barden. On 77 minutes Ramadan won the ball and found himself one on one with the keeper again but again he pulled his shot wide. Ryan Stafford broke down the wing on 88 minutes for Bury and turning inside got to the edge of the box and hit a solid strike which the keeper did well to save. A much better second half from Bury and they took the win at the final whistle to move up to third in the league.

Full Time: Bury Town 3 Cambridge City 1

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 26, Aug 2019






North Division

League position

Bury Town
Cambridge City
Joe White

Player of the match

Joe White