Mon 22
AFC Sudbury
First Team
P Hayes (53' Pen), (66' Pen), T French (70')
E Machaya (5'), T Call (33'), O Hughes (86'), J Chambers Shaw (92')
Blues take the win in thrilling local derby

Blues take the win in thrilling local derby

By John Alcock
Share via

AFC Sudbury (A) - By John Alcock

Bury Town take the win in thrilling local derby

Bury Town made it five back to back wins in what was a very entertaining local derby at AFC Sudbury on Easter Monday in front of a crowd of 564. Bury took the lead after just 5 minutes with Emanuel Machaya finishing off some great link up play from Ollie Hughes and Jake Chambers Shaw which found Machaya in space in the box to fire the Blues in front. On 7 minutes another good Bury attack saw Chambers Shaw hit a good effort on goal and a fantastic save from Paul Walker denied Bury a second goal. On 11 minutes Paul Hayes put a through ball in to the box for Panashe Mundawarara to run on to but the ball went just to long as Bury 'keeper Luis Tibbles collected the ball. Machaya had another good chance for Bury on 22 minutes, getting to the edge of the box and trying to place his shot low past the keeper but Walker read the play well to make the save. Walker was needed again on 30 minutes after another Bury attack which saw Chambers Shaw put a cross in to the box which Hughes met with a powerful header from close range and a stunning reaction save from Walker denied Bury again. On 33 minutes Bury got their second goal, a brilliant ball from Chamber Shaw went to the feet of Tanner Call who put Bury two goals in front. On 40 minutes Sudbury won a free kick close to the box out wide and a good ball in to the box was headed just wide by Billy Holland.

Half Time: AFC Sudbury 0 Bury Town 2

The second half was much more balanced with the game swinging from end to end. On 48 minutes Ollie Hughes broke forward in to the box and hit a good effort on goal but Walker was on hand again to make a good save. A minute late it was Jake Chambers Shaw who had a go from inside the box, hitting a low strike towards the near post and Walker got a hand to the ball to put it past the post. Sudbury were awarded a penalty on 53 minutes and Paul Hayes stepped up the pull a goal back for Sudbury from the spot. On 55 minutes Ryan Jolland put a good ball in to Chambers Shaw in the box but some solid defending by Liam Bennett cleared the danger. On 63 minutes Bury almost got their third goal with Emanuel Machaya having his shot cleared off the goal line by Ross Crane. The action was as the other end a minute later with Callum Harrison breaking in to the Bury box but shooting just wide. Sudbury were awarded another penalty on 66 minutes and Hayes stepped up to pull Sudbury level. The momentum was with Sudbury and on 70 minutes the home side took the lead. A corner whipped in to the box was headed home by Tyler French. Bury were not to be outdone and kept attacking at every opportunity and on 86 minutes got their reward with a thumping header from Ollie Hughes from a cross in to the box. On 88 minutes Harrison broke in to the Bury box and hit a good effort on target but Luis Tibbles made a superb save. With the game in injury time Bury got the winner from Jake Chamber Shaw who battled through a crowded penalty area to tuck a clever shot low under Walker and in to the back of the net. An incredible game of football came to an end and Bury took the win to make it five wins back to back to continue their good recent form.

Full Time: AFC Sudbury 3 Bury Town 4

The David Longman Man of the Match: Jake Chamber Shaw

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 22, Apr 2019






North Division

League position

Bury Town
AFC Sudbury
Jake Chambers Shaw

Player of the match

Jake Chambers Shaw