Sat 13
Great Wakering Rovers
First Team
H Jaffa (19')
O Hughes (78'), J Chambers Shaw (83')
Blues come from behind to take the win

Blues come from behind to take the win

By john alcock
Share via

Great Wakering Rovers (A)

Bury Town come from behind to take the win

Bury Town were made to work hard throughout the game to secure their third win in a row at Burroughs Park, the home of Great Wakering Rovers in the Bostik North Division. On 8 minutes Tanner Call got to the edge of the box for Bury and found Jake Chambers Shaw with a pass but his put his shot wide of the target. Emmanuel Machaya had a half chance on 11 minutes for Bury when he chested down a cross in to the box and hit a low strike on goal, Bobby Mason got down quickly to make the save for Gt Wakering. Tony Martin had a chance for the home side on 14 minutes getting on the end of a long throw in to the box but Martin volleyed the ball just over the bar. Gt Wakering took the lead on 19 minutes when a deep cross to the far post was headed back across the Bury goal and past Luis Tibles by Hussain Jaffa who opened the scoring. Ollie Hughes went on a run in to the box for Bury on 33 minutes and got to the near post before the defence managed to clear to ball up field. On 35 minutes Ryley Scott went down the wing a put a good cross in to the box looking for Ryan Horne but the ball was just too long for Horne to make use of. Jaffa had another great chance to bag another goal on 36 minutes when a long ball to the far post was headed just wide from close range. Jason Ring went close for Gt Wakering just before the break with a cross in to the box which went wayward and had Luis Tibbles guided the ball on to the roof of the Bury net.

Half Time: Great Wakering Rovers 1 Bury Town 0

Bury were soon on the attack second half, Ollie Fenn tested Bobby Mason on 50 minutes with a well hit strike that had Mason saving at full stretch from the top corner effort. On 56 minutes Bury had the ball in the net from Emmanuel Machaya but an odd turn of events saw the referee calling offside while the lineman had not shown a flag. The match official went over to the linesman and told him to put the flag up, which he did, and the goal was unbelievably disallowed. Bury were not to be out done and kept pressing forward. On 61 minutes Ollie Hughes got deep into the box and put a good cross in for Machaya who shot wide. On 67 minutes a spinning effort from Hughes sent the ball up in the air and heading towards the bar but Mason saw the ball out of play for the corner. A thumping free kick from Jake Chamber Shaw on 77 minutes had Mason diving to put the ball out past the post for another corner. The corner was whipped in for Hughes to head Bury level with some determined attacking of the ball. Bury had finally made the break through and were not done there. On 83 minutes Tanner Call found Hughes with a great ball and Hughes smashed the ball against the bar and Jake Chambers Shaw scored from the follow up with his head to put the Blues in front. Some late action saw Billy Johnson go close for Gt Wakering on 90 minutes with a well hit strike that had Tibbles diving to save and put the ball out past the post and with that Bury made it three wins in a row as their current good form continues.

Full Time: Great Wakering Rovers 1 Bury Town 2

The David Longman Man of the Match: Jake Chambers Shaw

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 13, Apr 2019






North Division

League position

Bury Town
Great Wakering Rovers